It has been a hectic few days so my apologies for not being quicker in posting my thoughts on the showcase held this week at Fed Square.
All Ale The Big V had a great night on Wednesday meeting brewers, marketers and distributors, all the while trying to find out some interesting tidbits for you dear reader. I need to thank everybody who was so generous with their time and samples.
The intention had been to visit every stand but the logistics defeated me. Next time perhaps.
What did we learn?
- Temple have a big announcement in the offing. Will Ron finally be getting his own brewery? And if so, where will it be? Lots of secret squirrel work happening with that one.
- 3 Ravens bought along a ginger beer that also includes kaffir lime leaves. Matt, the brewer, told us that it was a bit of a work in progress at the moment. The ginger gives it a real kick and it will be a great thirst quencher on a hot day. It was also our first chance to check out the new names for some of the range. The Bronze is now called the English and the Blond will be called the Golden. The new names also come with classy new labels which are an acrylic of some kind and are slightly raised in parts which give them a very tactile element. We were also lucky enough to get a taste of the special bourbon barrel version of the Dark smoke beer which is on tap at Beer Deluxe. It is very limited so get in there to see if any is left.
- Sweetwater brought their new Summer Ale and Porter down from the high country. Pete told us that he is using summer saaz and galaxy hops in the summer ale with some of them being grown locally in the Ovens Valley. His aim was to produce a sessionable beer for the warmer months. I’m prepared to put my body on the line and see if he succeeded.
- Bright Brewery are also going for a sessionable beer – a lager. It’s not a beer that will change your life but it will go down a treat on a hot day.
- Holgate have a mid-strength English ale on the way. For the moment it will only be on tap. Perhaps an option for those who have been talked into being the dedicated driver for the trip to Woodend?
There are other scribbles in my notebook which may hold important information but unfortunately the generosity of the “tastes” being given to me affected my already poor note taking skills.
I’m looking forward to chasing up a lot of the contacts I made on the evening and hopefully that will result in some more interesting tidbits appearing here soon. Keep your eyes out.